Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
Question authority | moderated by Randal Shacklett (account deleted)

life

Closed_forum

Displaying all 11 posts
Page 1 of 1
Wed, 29 Jul 2009 #1
Thumb_deleted_user_med Randal Shacklett United States 263 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

In life, I cry, I get angry, afraid, I call it suffering.
I go to a movie theater, I do the same things, but call it fun/entertainment. Strange.

Wed, 29 Jul 2009 #2
Thumb_avatar david sharma Ireland 6 posts in this forum Offline

In life we play different parts, we put on a mask and become a son, a daughter, a father, a mother, a friend a doctor, and teacher so on and on, this is the drama of life is? And the suffering is common to man, we add to this suffering with each thought, emotion, and feeling. Can we free our self, is the question?

Wed, 29 Jul 2009 #3
Thumb_deleted_user_med Linda Thorlakson United States 11 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Randal Shacklett wrote:
In life, I cry, I get angry, afraid, I call it suffering. I go to a movie theater, I do the same things, but call it fun/entertainment. Strange.

This is an excellent observation, Randall. For me, the best movies are those where I really DO care about the characters. So, the difference for me (between being entertained by emotions evoked by the screen and the unbearable suffering resulting by many of the same emotions when evoked by my everyday life), does not consist of indifference (not caring one way or the other)*, but rather the realization that nothing I do or think or feel can possibly make any difference to the plot.

Hmmm . . . is it possible to experience one's life in the same way that one experiences a movie?

(I am not asking for a theoretical answer to that question, but . . . if anybody wants to share their experience of having gone into this for themselves . . . I'm all ears!!!)

*I defined how I am using "indifference" here because I know that K defines the word differently in some of his talks.

Wed, 29 Jul 2009 #4
Thumb_avatar david sharma Ireland 6 posts in this forum Offline

Life it self is a movie it is playing over and over. Just like in movie, our thoughts are also frozen. In time. We go through all emotion on the screen of our mind in real life we feel these emotions in our body. When watching movie we never say oh it time frozen we are watching .we are stirred by the action taking place, on the screen same way. knowing fully well it is false.

Wed, 29 Jul 2009 #5
Thumb_deleted_user_med Randal Shacklett United States 263 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Linda Thorlakson wrote:

Randal Shacklett wrote:
In life, I cry, I get angry, afraid, I call it suffering. I go to a movie theater, I do the same things, but call it fun/entertainment. Strange.

This is an excellent observation, Randall. For me, the best movies are those where I really DO care about the characters. So, the difference for me (between being entertained by emotions evoked by the screen and the unbearable suffering resulting by many of the same emotions when evoked by my everyday life), does not consist of indifference (not caring one way or the other)*, but rather the realization that nothing I do or think or feel can possibly make any difference to the plot.

Hmmm . . . is it possible to experience one's life in the same way that one experiences a movie?

(I am not asking for a theoretical answer to that question, but . . . if anybody wants to share their experience of having gone into this for themselves . . . I'm all ears!!!)

*I defined how I am using "indifference" here because I know that K defines the word differently in some of his talks.

Are you saying you care about fictional characters, but not about real life characters(yourself)?
No, don't listen to someone who has gone into it, go into it yourself.

Wed, 29 Jul 2009 #6

david sharma wrote:

Life it self is a movie it is playing over and over. Just like in movie, our thoughts are also frozen. In time. We go through all emotion on the screen of our mind in real life we feel these emotions in our body. When watching movie we never say oh it time frozen we are watching .we are stirred by the action taking place, on the screen same way. knowing fully well it is false.

But the point is, that we constantly escape in life, what we seek in entertainment. Don't answer or explain, look.

Wed, 29 Jul 2009 #7

david sharma wrote:

In life we play different parts, we put on a mask and become a son, a daughter, a father, a mother, a friend a doctor, and teacher so on and on, this is the drama of life is? And the suffering is common to man, we add to this suffering with each thought, emotion, and feeling. Can we free our self, is the question?

No, we put on the mask of honesty, seriousness, spirituality, etc.. When in reality we are liars, controlers and bullies.

Wed, 29 Jul 2009 #8
Thumb_deleted_user_med Linda Thorlakson United States 11 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Randal Shacklett wrote:
Are you saying you care about fictional characters, but not about real life characters(yourself)?

No, that's not at all what I'm saying.

Randal Shacklett wrote:don't listen to someone who has gone into it, go into it yourself.

For me, it is not a matter of "either" listening to someone else who has gone into it, "or" going into it for myself.

If I can't both listen to another (like K for example) AND go into it for myself . . . (this may be one of those sentence fragments which doesn't require completion, but . . . if you feel otherwise, Randall, please be my guest).

Thu, 30 Jul 2009 #9

Linda Thorlakson wrote:

Randal Shacklett wrote:

No, that's not at all what I'm saying.

Randal Shacklett wrote:don't listen to someone who has gone into it, go into it yourself.

For me, it is not a matter of "either" listening to someone else who has gone into it, "or" going into it for myself.

If I can't both listen to another (like K for example) AND go into it for myself . . . (this may be one of those sentence fragments which doesn't require completion, but . . . if you feel otherwise, Randall, please be my guest).

How can I listen to Sam Smith AND go into it for myself? And when Sam tells me not to listen to what he says, but to go into it alone, what do I do then?

This post was last updated by Randal Shacklett (account deleted) Thu, 30 Jul 2009.

Thu, 30 Jul 2009 #10

Randal Shacklett wrote:
How can I listen to Sam Smith AND go into it for myself? And when Sam tells me not to listen to what he says, but to go into it alone, what do I do then?

Hmmmm . . . more theoretical questions . . . just what I was trying to get beyond with my post. Oh well . . . just because I get far more out of those topics where direct observations are shared doesn't mean that my preference need be anybody else's. There are plenty of topics here for theoretical debate and plenty for the sharing of direct experiences resulting from attempting to go into what K has to say for ourselves.

Please forgive my tendency, Randall, to try to impose my preference upon your's and, likewise, I will attempt to do same with your tendencies (of course . . . were you to point out that this is, after all, YOUR topic, which you are taking considerable time and effort to moderate, well . . . I suppose I would be forced to admit that you have far more to forgive than I do. I can only hope that you are a more forgiving person than I tend to be).

Fri, 31 Jul 2009 #11

Linda Thorlakson wrote:

Randal Shacklett wrote:

Hmmmm . . . more theoretical questions . . . just what I was trying to get beyond with my post. Oh well . . . just because I get far more out of those topics where direct observations are shared doesn't mean that my preference need be anybody else's. There are plenty of topics here for theoretical debate and plenty for the sharing of direct experiences resulting from attempting to go into what K has to say for ourselves.

Please forgive my tendency, Randall, to try to impose my preference upon your's and, likewise, I will attempt to do same with your tendencies (of course . . . were you to point out that this is, after all, YOUR topic, which you are taking considerable time and effort to moderate, well . . . I suppose I would be forced to admit that you have far more to forgive than I do. I can only hope that you are a more forgiving person than I tend to be).

Please Linda, none of this is mine and none of this is theoretical. I'm not imposing preference. What do I do when I don't know what to do. Simple question. How do I answer it?
And why do you say there are "direct observations" going on here, or anywhere else? How would you know one, if you did see/hear one?

Displaying all 11 posts
Page 1 of 1
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)