Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
Question authority | moderated by Randal Shacklett (account deleted)

When the Idol Dies, the Idolatry Goes Bankrupt

Closed_forum

Displaying all 14 posts
Page 1 of 1
Sun, 08 Nov 2009 #1
Thumb_stringio Arthur Landon United States 5 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Many Theosophists profited from the child star Krishnamurti. Taught to believe he was the vehicle of the World Teacher, he received enormous gifts of money and property in the name of the Teachings. He learned to speak for a living. He made his living speaking, sometime profoundly. Many teachers before him and many after him have carried on the tradition. Now he is gone and his foundations and schools are nearly bankrupt. All that is left are a few elderly supporters who knew him personally, enthralled by his light and wisdom, and they too are dying off. So what is the future of this idolatry? With so many multi-millionaire contenders (Deepak Chopra, Eckhard Tolle, Warren Buffet, etc?) what will come of his teachings when the last rich supporter dies off? It's a market economy, who will buy the next round? What will be the next round?

This post was last updated by Arthur Landon (account deleted) Sun, 08 Nov 2009.

Sun, 08 Nov 2009 #2
Thumb_deleted_user_med Randal Shacklett United States 263 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Arthur Landon wrote:
what will come of his teachings when the last rich supporter dies off?

All things must pass. Why do we want to keep artificial life support to a dead old man's public speeches? The only way to keep the flame alive, is to light it in myself.

Sun, 08 Nov 2009 #3
Thumb_deleted_user_med Randal Shacklett United States 263 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Arthur Landon wrote:
sometime profoundly

Often times. ;o)

Sun, 08 Nov 2009 #4
Thumb_stringio Arthur Landon United States 5 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Without that support, even this website could not continue. This website isn't making money. Some K devotees are manning and funding this endeavour, the last of the idolatry. We're the ones benefiting when we visit this website on our escape from life's duldroms. When the money runs out where will I go to express myself? I'll be stuck with my thoughts, with myself and my temperament. I could try the rest of the gurus, the living ones with money, merchandise and websites, even attend "workshops", then I become bankrupt.

This post was last updated by Arthur Landon (account deleted) Sun, 08 Nov 2009.

Sun, 08 Nov 2009 #5
Thumb_img001 Dr.sudhir sharma India 32 posts in this forum Offline

I can admire a person because he has attained great heights or the admiration can be because reading or listening to him inspires me to improve the quality of my day to day life.The former is an idol and the later is a teacher.K's teachings have definitely improved my understanding of the functioning of my own mind resulting in less conflicts and more joy filled life.Instead of worrying about 'death' of K's schools, foundation and supporters, if I could understand 'dying' to every moment, this will prove more benificial. It is wastage of time and energy to worry about the events over which we have no control and about which we can do nothing.As Randall very rightely says, "light the flame in yourself."

FLOW WITH LIFE!

Sun, 08 Nov 2009 #6

I have difficulty interesting friends in a dead man's teachings. They, instead, point to other, more widely promoted teachers and encourage me to join then at one function or another. I need friends, but they all say let this teacher go. There is too much controversy surrounding his own personal life and business dealings, as it is throughout what is left of the K-world. I liked what I learned from K. I suppose it doesn't matter what others say about him and his associates. I guess I just need to shut my mouth around my friends.

Mon, 09 Nov 2009 #7

My friends want the latest in technology and truth. There's not much variation of people in this area. I do need friends. I don 't function well alone. Yes, it is like a craving. I am gregarious by birth. Both my parents were surrounded by people constantly. I never got to spend much time with them because of it. Where would I find groups of people interested in K's teachings? The foundations are vacant, run by an ever decreasing skeleton crew of loners. Where in the K world are friendships thriving??

Mon, 09 Nov 2009 #8

Arthur Landon wrote:
then I become bankrupt.

I am already bankrupt. It is these constant escapes, from the doldrums, that will not allow me to adequatly deal with my bankruptsy. Maybe when all my Idols die, I can face who I/we am/are. Maybe not, who knows.

Mon, 09 Nov 2009 #9

Arthur Landon wrote:
I need friends

Define, "need", then define, "friend".

Mon, 09 Nov 2009 #10

Arthur Landon wrote:
My friends want the latest in technology and truth. There's not much variation of people in this area. I do need friends. I don 't function well alone. Yes, it is like a craving. I am gregarious by birth. Both my parents were surrounded by people constantly. I never got to spend much time with them because of it. Where would I find groups of people interested in K's teachings? The foundations are vacant, run by an ever decreasing skeleton crew of loners. Where in the K world are friendships thriving??

Good God man, get a grip of yourself. Look at what you are saying. You are saying you are a junkie, in need of a fix. You use Krishnamurti and your friends, like a drug. And now you can't get any and your in a tight spot about it?

Tue, 10 Nov 2009 #11

People reaffirm that I exist. They define my boundaries. They reflect my image as does the mirror. If anything I am addicted to being me. Friends let me know I am worthwhile. but I'd like to interact and be friendly with people who share interest in Krishnamurti. They don't exist in my world; only in this cyber space.

This post was last updated by Arthur Landon (account deleted) Thu, 12 Nov 2009.

Tue, 10 Nov 2009 #12

Arthur Landon wrote:
Friends let me know I am worthwhile.

Drugs, and chocolate, make me feel worthwhile. We are addicted to pleasurable affirmations of our pathetic, miserable, little exstances.
What does it mean to be "worthwhile'?

This post was last updated by Randal Shacklett (account deleted) Fri, 13 Nov 2009.

Thu, 12 Nov 2009 #13
Thumb_henry Thérèse Doyle Okamoto United States 29 posts in this forum Offline

Arthur Landon wrote:
So what is the future of this idolatry?

Look what happened to poor Shakespeare! and Janeolatry, completely dead. Worrys hell outta me.

Randal Shacklett wrote:
The only way to keep the flame alive, is to light it in myself.

This is a worthy goal Mr. Shacklett, fo sho, I hope you can do it too. Myself, I have read JK, and I think I could say I love JK because he rings so true, but it is hard reading, JK doesnt pour into my mind like jdSalinger, its a slow row to hoe, and to further Learn to know JK well enough to discuss intelligently, it takes study and review and ponder, and i cant honestly say I understand JK enough... yet. I definitely do not know the answer the question : What Would JK Say?

Some other philosophers im fairly confident in teaching about but there is something about JK, I know my points of departure from him and what Im not certain about, but I would not venture to teach someone, I would just hand you the book The Awakening of Intelligence and say have at it. And why not? Do any of you have this problem?

post script: it is hard enough to study JK but this forum does very little to clarify things for me, what i would also like to know is this:

How confident are you that you know JK well enough to discuss him intelligently, that is to say, not what you think he meant but what he actually would have said? Because on a scale of 1 to 10, I'm feeling a 7 when it comes to understanding JK but only about a 3 when it comes to being able to share it .

Health care is everyone's job, not just in treating illness but in promoting healthy living. We must take personal responsibility, engaging our minds and hands in meaningful work - all essential components of healthy, secure lifestyles and communities.

Fri, 13 Nov 2009 #14

Therese Okamoto wrote:
I'm feeling a 7 when it comes to understanding JK but only about a 3 when it comes to being able to share it .

And so, to discuss Krishnamurti Intelligently, I need to measure my knowledge? ;o)
I'm sorry, it is not an evolutionary, meaning, not measured by a scale, situation. Either one can see clearly, or one cannot. When one can see clearly, one can discuss intelligently. When one is lost in the human condition, one has confused, competitive, knowledge exchanges.

Displaying all 14 posts
Page 1 of 1
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)