Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

Was K Depressed?

Displaying posts 61 - 90 of 135 in total
Thu, 25 Aug 2011 #61
Thumb_stringio RICK LEIN United States 4436 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Patricia Hemingway wrote:
How do you suggest we communicate on a forum without words?

Hi Patricia..very good question..telepathy perhaps? LOL! Oh goodie haven't played hide or seek since grade school...what fun!:)

THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 2 readers
Thu, 25 Aug 2011 #62
Thumb_patricia_may_2014_reduced_ Patricia Hemingway Australia 1929 posts in this forum Offline

Hi Rick - Don't you love it when posters on a forum get all dogmatic and holier-than-thou about words, especially when the self is confronted or questioned?

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 #63
Thumb_patricia_may_2014_reduced_ Patricia Hemingway Australia 1929 posts in this forum Offline

Muad dheeb wrote:
let me explain what trolling is:
take this sentence : a cheap Bentley as cheap as an old small car is rare , everything which is rare is expensive , a cheap Bentley is expensive...

then it is possible to spend a life arguing about nothing....this is what trolling is..politic and business too...

Yes Dan - exactly so.

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 #64
Thumb_avatar Angela Moody United States 12 posts in this forum Offline

Muaad dheeb, Please let me assure you that your images of me are all wrong. I am not "light hunter", "yogi bear", "troll", or any of the others suggested here.

Jack, you asked what I meant by depression. I was referring to a mental state characterized by a deficiency of serotonin in the brain. Though daily asanas and long walks, as practiced by K, can increase dopamine and endorphins to alleviate depression, it really does not increase serotonin.

Light Hunter, you asked how did I know he was easily angered, I've seen it on numerous occassions in videoed dialogues and presentations. I was actually embarrassed by this exposure. But, it never discouraged me from the teachings.

Patricia, you wrote the teachings are not for everyone. Anyone who is interested will find something in them. But most people struggle with making ends meet to have time for the journey of the teachings

Rick, I do not think the love K referred to has an opposite. K redefined love continuously. As Paul wrote, "the bliss of the sacred", "the ground of all being".

Max asked if it is possible to start with anger and through a string of actions arrive at love. This question resulted in the imagery of the screaming, angry newborn brought by the nurse to be suckled at the mother's breast. I think that might be our first "love" experience.

Idiot ?, K may have been very depressed by the end of his life, especially feeling that no one had deep down been transformed or understood the teachings. An enire life's work for what??

Patricia, "hope" may have been the enemy of attention or may have been a simple distraction. A sense of hopelessness accompanies depression. Maybe hamanity would be better off to learn to live with that sense.

And Paul, in case you decide to read this afterall, your speculation about my profession (manicurist, hairdresser, etc) was meant to be somewhat brutal. Actually, I work for a therapeutic program to help people overcome their internet addictions. If you spend more than one hour a day on the internet (other than work-related), you may have an addiction, too.

This post was last updated by Angela Moody Thu, 25 Aug 2011.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 25 Aug 2011 #65
Thumb_avatar Angela Moody United States 12 posts in this forum Offline

Your boycott isn't working, Muad. Your anger is the war you see. You spit bullets with your words.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 25 Aug 2011 #66
Thumb_original_avatar max greene United States 5845 posts in this forum Offline

K himself said the teaching was not for everyone. . . clearly - the teaching is NOT for everyone.If it were, humanity would be vastly different - and it is not. Humanity is even more disordered now than when K was alive - the human brain even more senile. And this also K predicted.

It's the way it's said, mostly, but aren't the teachings for everyone? The teachings are out there, easily accessible, and anyone and everyone are welcome to them -- I'm sure with Krishnamurti'e blessing. But not everyone is interested. It's not so much that the teachings aren't for everyone but that everyone is not for the teachings.

max

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Thu, 25 Aug 2011 #67
Thumb_img_0244 Jack Pine United States 5770 posts in this forum Offline

Angela Moody wrote:
Jack, you asked what I meant by depression. I was referring to a mental state characterized by a deficiency of serotonin in the brain. Though daily asanas and long walks, as practiced by K, can increase dopamine and endorphins to alleviate depression, it really does not increase serotonin.

No, I wasn't asking your personal opinion of what depression is. I was asking what is depression. Also, I was trying to point out to you that you weren't really asking any real questions. You were expressing your opinions, pre-conceived notions and conclusions, with question marks after them. You weren't really trying to question anything or find out anything new for yourself.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 4 readers
Thu, 25 Aug 2011 #68

Jack Pine wrote:
You were expressing your opinions, pre-conceived notions and conclusions, with question marks after them. You weren't really trying to question anything or find out anything new for yourself.

Tricks of the monkey my friend!:)

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 #69

Angela Moody wrote:
Your boycott isn't working, Muad. Your anger is the war you see. You spit bullets with your words.

Ah..the Ego..in all it's glory!:)

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 #70

Angela Moody wrote:
Muaad dheeb, Please let me assure you that your images of me are all wrong. I am not "light hunter", "yogi bear", "troll", or any of the others suggested here.

The Dark side I sense in you!:)

Thu, 25 Aug 2011 #71

RICK LEIN wrote:
Angela Moody wrote:

Love is divine..isn't it? See through you we do !:)

Fri, 26 Aug 2011 #72

max greene wrote:
But not everyone is interested. It's not so much that the teachings aren't for everyone but that everyone is not for the teachings.

That may sound a preferable way to say it Max.

But people say: "There is something in the teaching for everyone" - which is really just saying that they take the bits of the teaching of K that make them (the self) feel good - and that is a total cop-out.

So in that context I think it can be said that the teaching is NOT for everyone, because to pick and choose from the teaching is to misunderstand it completely.

And you can see evidenced on here what total confusion such picking and choosing leads to, and how a disordered unquestioning brain can feed on K in a most disconcerting manner. Quite cannibalistic really.

Fri, 26 Aug 2011 #73

I suggest that Angela M could be that whacko psychologist who trolled around here some time ago psycho-analysing everyone.

Fri, 26 Aug 2011 #74

And Light Hunter may be her side-kick.

Fri, 26 Aug 2011 #75
Thumb_tampura ganesan balachandran India 2204 posts in this forum Offline

max greene wrote:
aren't the teachings for everyone?

yes for everyone who are depressed and among them either they are not aware or they are aware.
gb

We are watching, not waiting, not expecting anything to happen but watching without end. JK

Fri, 26 Aug 2011 #76
Thumb_deleted_user_med Muad dhib Ireland 175 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

I suggest that Angela M could be that whacko psychologist who trolled around here some time ago psycho-analysing everyone.

yes, in fact now you say it , I sense the same patricia..:)

ganesan balachandran wrote:

max greene wrote:
aren't the teachings for everyone?
gb:...yes for everyone who are depressed and among them either they are not aware or they are aware.

:)

Dan.....

Fri, 26 Aug 2011 #77

Angela Moody wrote:
work-related

There is only one vocation for man; to find out the truth.
gb

We are watching, not waiting, not expecting anything to happen but watching without end. JK

This post was last updated by ganesan balachandran Fri, 26 Aug 2011.

Fri, 26 Aug 2011 #78
Thumb_avatar Light Hunter Portugal 46 posts in this forum Offline

And Light Hunter may be her side-kick.

Always out of topic. Depression?

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 26 Aug 2011 #79

Oh yes Patricia..maybe that one who was so intent on playing games with Randal&O.M. and such?:)

Fri, 26 Aug 2011 #80

That's the one Rick! Tricks of the monkey in action. :)

Fri, 26 Aug 2011 #81
Thumb_sdc10536 Juan Illan Gomez Spain 29 posts in this forum Offline

Hi everyone!

After quite a few weeks of browsing these forums without feeling any need to say anything, I've found this already long thread and I'm going to take a chance of being dismissed as another alter ego of that monkey some of you say.

The very belief -which everyone in this world shares or otherwise they wouldn't be here- that one's life consists of inhabiting a sooner or later dying body bound to kill other so-called living things in order to feed itself is really depressing.

What's so wrong about being depressed? I haven't met one single person who was not. Yet I know of many who are in denial. So if K was depressed, what's the big deal? Having to breath and kill oxygen molecules by the million in order to stay 'alive' must depress anyone with a little ability to think.

Either his teachings ring true for you or they don't. And that's all.

And I think K's teachings are for everyone, though maybe not for everyone right now.

Fri, 26 Aug 2011 #82
Thumb_flower_4 Ana Flavia Lucas Brazil 28 posts in this forum Offline

Juan Illan Gomez wrote:

Do you realise how narrow ( and dangerous) this definition of "depression" that you present is? This is just a biological description, very simplistic, of complex neurotransmitters dynamics that can be seen in a human being who is connected with others and the world, and that changes all the time.
According to the psychiatry, 20% of humanity should be taking medicines for depression... Don't you think this has something to do with the sorrow, misery, fear and anger we can see everyday inside and around us and that K pointed so well? Would label this as depression make it any better? Would take medicines solve it?
I am quite aware of sorrow as it is, inside me and in the world ( as it is one) and I am not at all depressed by that. I think I would be much worse if I were in denial. To face what it is does not make you any sadder, just removes garbage and frees you to a deeper connection with life and everything as it is.
What would you prefer? Compassion or fluoxetine??

Fri, 26 Aug 2011 #83
Thumb_img_0244 Jack Pine United States 5770 posts in this forum Offline

Ana Flavia Lucus,

You make some pertinent points about depression. Certainly the clinical definition is not adequate for one to understand his own depression. Whatever feelings we have must necessarily be understood while they are happening and not theorized about and examined after the fact.

I also agree with you that labeling emotions is not helpful. Words are invariably loaded with conditioning.

Fri, 26 Aug 2011 #84
Thumb_stringio Paul Davidson United Kingdom 3659 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

I take this opportunity to come back. I have no intention to discuss someone's pseudo-psychiatric diagnosis of Krishnamurti, however I will comment on Anna's response, which touches upon something real to me.

What is disturbing to me is not Angela's diagnosis itself but the fact that it is made by someone claiming to be a professional in the psychiatric field dealing with vulnerable people who expect a rational and educated response to their needs.

I agree with Anna that Angela's definition of depression is narrow, neuro-chemical and incorrect. Misdiagnosis and over-medication are symptomatic of the de-professionalisation that has unfortunately become general and universal in the mental health field.

Children in particular are being habitually diagnosed and medicated as either deficient in attention or as addicts for anything from Facebook to marijuana.

It excuses society from taking responsibility for the utter meaninglessness of its cultural inheritance and puts the blame on the kids, the future inheritors.

"The ego is first and foremost a body ego." S. Freud

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 26 Aug 2011 #85

Paul Davidson wrote:
Children in particular are being habitually diagnosed and medicated as either deficient in attention or as addicts for anything from Facebook to marijuana.

:) Damn another Bingo!:)

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 27 Aug 2011 #86

Juan Illan Gomez wrote:
And I think K's teachings are for everyone, though maybe not for everyone right now.

There is only 'right now'.

Sat, 27 Aug 2011 #87

Ana Flavia Lucas wrote:
I am quite aware of sorrow as it is, inside me and in the world ( as it is one) and I am not at all depressed by that. I think I would be much worse if I were in denial. To face what it is does not make you any sadder, just removes garbage and frees you to a deeper connection with life and everything as it is.

Perhaps what is neatly labelled 'depression' is simply discontent with the state of human disorder shared by us all. In other words - intelligence.

Sat, 27 Aug 2011 #88

In other words - intelligence.

do you mean 'depression' of the intelligence!
gb

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 27 Aug 2011 #89

Juan Illan Gomez wrote:

though maybe not for everyone right now.(who are not prepared or who don't feel any crisis)

This post was last updated by ganesan balachandran Sat, 27 Aug 2011.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 27 Aug 2011 #90

Bingo!:)

Sign in to recommend
Displaying posts 61 - 90 of 135 in total
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)