Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

Love...What is it?

Displaying posts 1 - 30 of 626 in total
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 #1
Thumb_stringio RICK LEIN United States 4436 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

i would be interested in hearing some folks take on this subject. You see I am not sure about it? What does Love mean to you?

THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 #2
Thumb_stringio B R Canada 19 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

I used to see the world from behind my eyes...as though thru two small windows. Then I started having days when my perspective seemed to change, my viewpoint moved forward till it seemed I was 'seeing' from in front of my eyes. In those moments I was so open, so flexible and so at peace...

I believe those moments were Love.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 #3

B R wrote:
I believe those moments were Love. Interesting..why?

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 #4
Thumb_stringio B R Canada 19 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

RICK LEIN wrote:
Interesting..why?

May I ask if you have ever had this type of experience?

If so, what were your feelings of it?

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 #5
Thumb_patricia_may_2014_reduced_ Patricia Hemingway Australia 1929 posts in this forum Offline

The concept of 'love' has been so sentimentalized! It is also held up as the opposite to hate, which would therefore mean that it has its root in hate. But clearly 'love' is none of this.

Also - humans believe that love can be 'owned' - can be given to another and then taken away - used in such a manner as a reward and as punishment. All that is 'love' as a concept - and not reality at all.

So it seems wise to not continue with the concept by theorizing further about love. Or by imagining it as "something wonderful for ME"!

K seemed to imply that there is a 'love of the universe' that flows freely when there is no self to stand in the way of the flow. So like Little Bo-Peep's lambs: Leave it alone and it will come home........ but be sure to get out of the way first! :)

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 3 readers
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 #6
Thumb_rao kamarajugadda Mallik ArjunaRao India 903 posts in this forum Offline

Patricia Hemingway wrote:
So it seems wise to not continue with the concept by theorizing further about love. Or by imagining it as "something wonderful for ME"!

It is good enough...but

that flows freely when there is no self to stand in the way of the flow.

The prolem is with the The self itself.

nothing

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 #7
Thumb_tampura ganesan balachandran India 2204 posts in this forum Offline

it will come home........

like your posts.
gb

We are watching, not waiting, not expecting anything to happen but watching without end. JK

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 #8
Thumb_avatar me speak Sri Lanka 392 posts in this forum Offline

The concept of 'love' has been so sentimentalized! It is also held up as the opposite to hate, which would therefore mean that it has its root in hate. But clearly 'love' is none of this.
Also - humans believe that love can be 'owned' - can be given to another and then taken away - used in such a manner as a reward and as punishment. All that is 'love' as a concept - and not reality at all.

K has said all this in so many different ways. you have labelled them as concept.

K seemed to imply that there is a 'love of the universe' that flows freely when there is no self to stand in the way of the flow. So like Little Bo-Peep's lambs: Leave it alone and it will come home........ but be sure to get out of the way first! :)

is there something special about what K is implying above? or it should not be treated as concept because you find the above statement significant? me is ready to take you as an authority on K if you so desire.:)

Mon, 17 Oct 2011 #9

Love is conflictless.
gb

We are watching, not waiting, not expecting anything to happen but watching without end. JK

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 #10

B R wrote:
I used to see the world from behind my eyes...as though thru two small windows. Then I started having days when my perspective seemed to change, my viewpoint moved forward till it seemed I was 'seeing' from in front of my eyes. In those moments I was so open, so flexible and so at peace...
I believe those moments were Love.

my dear brother, you were only covering wider area by seeing from the front of your eyes. in such 'seeing' you can not see details and so finding faults in what is seen and verbalising them is difficult and less frequent. that gave you your peace. be happy that you are still a member of the club where 'me' loves 'you'! cheers!

Mon, 17 Oct 2011 #11

me speak wrote:
you were only covering wider area by seeing from the front of your eyes.

brother says to look as such.
gb

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 #12
Thumb_man_question_mark dhirendra singh India 2984 posts in this forum Offline

RICK LEIN wrote:
What does Love mean to you?

Hello Rick, I am afraid that I am going to spoil this thread.

There are two things, first is, what should be love, I will not talk about it, Second is what do love mean for me, I will answer this.

I don't know what love is.I like a woman, I remember her all the time, I want to do everything for her to make her happy.Even if she is not good with me, I want to be good with her.Is it love?

I have strong feelings for my children, I want to do everything for them, I feel good with them, is it love?

I don't want to do any bad thing with anyone, even they may do bad thing with me, I feel need of best things for everyone, happiness for everyone, is it love?

I think, above is not love.So what is love?

I don't know

Mon, 17 Oct 2011 #13

dhirendra singh wrote:
I think, above is not love.

you don't think and everything is love.
gb

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 #14
Thumb_avatar Ravi Seth India 1573 posts in this forum Offline

ganesan balachandran wrote:
you don't think and everything is love.

is the above statement also from vedas, gb?

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 #15

No, enlightenment through K and which i consider as veda. veda is love provided you don't think on that and the understanding comes like love..
gb

This post was last updated by ganesan balachandran Mon, 17 Oct 2011.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 #16
Thumb_avatar Ravi Seth India 1573 posts in this forum Offline

Ravi Seth wrote:
enlightenment through K

enlightenment or knowledge?

Mon, 17 Oct 2011 #17

dhirendra singh wrote:
I don't know what love is.

Me either!:)

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 #18
Thumb_img_0244 Jack Pine United States 5770 posts in this forum Offline

What is love? I don't know. But most of us think of love as some sort of romantic or psychological attachment. We "love" our wife or husband or girl friend, boy friend, new car, ipod, etc. That love is based on an image we have formed of the other. The image is based on experience, desire and knowledge of the other person or "thing" we want to possess and that which gives us pleasure. So this thing we call love is based on thought which is the past. The past is limited. Is love, in the sense K talks about it, based on the past and therefore limited? K has often pointed out that love is what is there when the center, the I, me, you is not. It is unlimited and doesn't belong to anyone person.

Mon, 17 Oct 2011 #19

but be sure to get out of the way first! :)

Yes.!:)

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 #20

Jack Pine wrote:
K has often pointed out that love is what is there when the center, the I, me, you is not. It is unlimited and doesn't belong to anyone person.

Yes Jack..similar to Patricia's line as reposted in # 20 !

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 #21

So maybe it is important to see what love is not..to reveal what it may be?:) You see for a long time I thought I loved this or that only to realize it was mere attachment..dependency ...fear with the mask of nobility of love?

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 #22

B R wrote:
I was 'seeing' from in front of my eyes. In those moments I was so open, so flexible and so at peace...

So B.R. you are saying that your view of things has enlarged...?:)

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 #23
Thumb_295902_10150361346929121_667049120_8087939_521721644_n Angel Miolan Dominican Republic 179 posts in this forum Offline

Negative or positive…conceptualize is equal. I think we can’t have a proper dialogue about this topic, when we have brothers that are close to these things. If we can’t consider openly or fell what is love, for example. First we need to understand what is doubt take it to the extreme. Regards, Angel.

lobo de la estepa

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 #24

Angel Miolan wrote:
we need to understand what is doubt take it to the extreme.

o.K.!:)

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 #25

RICK LEIN wrote:
You see for a long time I thought I loved this or that only to realize it was mere attachment..dependency ...fear with the mask of nobility of love?

half the life gone with wrong kind of love and other half going to go waste in effort to discuss, criticize and end that kind of love...and that too by repeating what K has said! why bother at all and feel guilty, brothers?

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 #26

me speak wrote:
why bother at all and feel guilty

the first question is one Rick would ask you to answer Me Speak..if you don't mind? As for guilt..one is not so sure about that!

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 #27

dhirendra singh wrote:
I think, above is not love.So what is love?

you could have got some kind of non-verbal answer if you had watched your wife taking care of your children when they were infants. here you will find only expert openions taken from K books and videos, brother.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 #28

RICK LEIN wrote:
the first question is one Rick would ask you to answer Me Speak..

there is only one question in my post, brother. me also pays little attention to any post because reply starts boiling!:)

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 #29

Jack Pine wrote:
What is love? I don't know.

so what? K books and many sites on net are there to help all of us out, brother.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 #30
Thumb_stringio Katy 9 United Kingdom 1197 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

RICK LEIN wrote:
You see for a long time I thought I loved this or that only to realize it was mere attachment..dependency ...fear with the mask of nobility of love?

For sure, Rick, I can relate to this, sir!:)

I was inspired (not surprisingly) by Krishnamurti's 'take' on this where he talks about love having no cause/motive.

The received wisdom (I think) is that love=freedom. It is also difficult to truly see and to shake off these inherited masks you refer to isn't it , sir?

There are lots of tangents to this enormous and important question imo. I perceive that people (in London) mostly are conditioned to operate in the zone of conditional love...guided by 'the me'. People who want to totally reject this might join the priesthood or something...oh Lord, what to do?:)

This post was last updated by Katy 9 (account deleted) Mon, 17 Oct 2011.

Displaying posts 1 - 30 of 626 in total
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)