Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

Cult?

Displaying posts 1 - 30 of 109 in total
Sat, 21 Apr 2012 #1
Thumb_stringio Katy 9 United Kingdom 1197 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Is this forum a cult of sorts? And, if not, why not?

I asked this question since it sprung to mind yet see that its answer lies actually in how I perceive the forum to be myself, Krishnamurti's work and, most essentially, the contributions of all the people who write here.

Please feel free to write anything you wish to about what a cult might be...And/or what is different about what this space might offer.

Thanks and regards, Katy

This post was last updated by Katy 9 (account deleted) Sat, 21 Apr 2012.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 21 Apr 2012 #2
Thumb_stringio RICK LEIN United States 4436 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Katy 9 wrote:

Well first it may be helpful to define what cult means in general? It is a cult if one is unable or unwilling to look at ones self...then of course many or most postings may be in the form of denial of fact!If by your question you mean..is this a cult based on Krishnamurti and or the teachings...if that is the case then one has not seen or heard what it was he said!The simple answer is..when we stop questioning ourselves...we are a cult unto our own self image!:)

THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 21 Apr 2012 #3

For sure, Rick...I thought it useful to write a bit more rather than leaving it as an open-ended question. Thanks, Katy :)

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 21 Apr 2012 #4
Thumb_stringio lidlo lady United States 4003 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Katy 9 wrote:

This forum is just a gathering of K-cultists. Google "cult" and find out why believing in and following K makes one a cult member.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 21 Apr 2012 #5

lidlo lady wrote:
Google "cult" and find out why believing in and following K makes one a cult member.

The word cult in current popular usage usually refers to a new religious movement or other group whose beliefs or practices are considered abnormal or bizarre.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 21 Apr 2012 #6
Thumb_stringio lidlo lady United States 4003 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

The second, third, and fourth definition of "cult" at dictionary.com:

1. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers.

2. the object of such devotion.

3. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 21 Apr 2012 #7

lidlo lady wrote:
the object of such devotion.

SELF!

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 21 Apr 2012 #8

Katy 9 wrote:
The word cult in current popular usage usually refers to a new religious movement or other group whose beliefs or practices are considered abnormal or bizarre.

That's the first definition in the Wikipedia page. Don't stop there.

You don't have to be abnormal or bizarre to be a member of a cult, but you do have to be a follower.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Sat, 21 Apr 2012 #9

lidlo lady wrote:
You don't have to be abnormal or bizarre to be a member of a cult, but you do have to be a follower.

This begs the question of.."What is normal"? Well that is a big question..and the cause of tremendous conflict...as self is division?

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 21 Apr 2012 #10

RICK LEIN wrote:
SELF!

Yes, you might call devotion to ones delusion a cult of one, but our personal delusions are usually fashioned from the grand illusions of charismatic characters.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 3 readers
Sat, 21 Apr 2012 #11

RICK LEIN wrote:
This begs the question of.."What is normal"? Well that is a big question..and the cause of tremendous conflict...as self is division?

We know what "normal" is: the norm, the lowest common denominator, mediocrity.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 3 readers
Sat, 21 Apr 2012 #12

and the answer to the question is that you're here because you can't get lost and be here without question.

I have quoted this from your topic entitled: 'Why', Lidlo, since this meets with my own experience in relation to this forum.
I wonder if this is what operates when a person finds oneself under a cult-like sway? What distinguishes this feeling/being 'swayed' from what happens to a 'follower' as such? (No formal answer expected; thinking about this)

Regards, Katy

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 21 Apr 2012 #13

Upon re-reading my own words I think I should rephrase the statement to read:

and the answer to the question is that you're here because you can't get lost and exist without question.

The reason for the change is the confusion caused by the word "here". In the first instance it could be taken to mean here in some particular place, and in the second instance it means "here" existentially.

What I was trying to convey was that as long as one can wonder, questions will arise, but if answers aren't sought, one is free to live without them.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 21 Apr 2012 #14

lidlo lady wrote:
What I was trying to convey was that as long as one can wonder, questions will arise, but if answers aren't sought, one is free to live without them.

Thankyou, Lidlo...seeing this observation and its import, too. Katy

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 21 Apr 2012 #15
Thumb_deleted_user_med richard villar France 20 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

K said what said buddha: " doubt, verify what is said " and then and only then, neither K nor buddha nor X or Y will be quoted, just what is seen and verified...

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 21 Apr 2012 #16

Bien sur, Richard...Merci...

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 21 Apr 2012 #17
Thumb_deleted_user_med richard villar France 20 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Katy 9 wrote:
Bien sur, Richard...Merci...

je t'en prie, il n'y a pas de quoi

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 21 Apr 2012 #18

richard villar wrote:
je t'en prie, il n'y a pas de quoi

:)

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 22 Apr 2012 #19
Thumb_rao kamarajugadda Mallik ArjunaRao India 890 posts in this forum Offline

lidlo lady wrote:

Mere chatting of JK's teachings do not make one a follower.Can you really say that I am following JK,just by looking at my postings in this form?It may be a mind game.This form is basically intelectual in nature and less a religious form.That is the reason why the'me' and its nature is misunderstood most of the time.

nothing

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 2 readers
Sun, 22 Apr 2012 #20
Thumb_robert_clarke Robert Clarke Ireland 223 posts in this forum Offline

Lidlo Lady wrote:.....What I was trying to convey was that as long as one can wonder, questions will arise, but if answers aren't sought, one is free to live without them.

Hi LL,

What is being stated here? Is it that if answers are not sought to questions that we are free to live without the questions or the answers?

What is the dilemma? To stop questioning or to stop seeking answers? Do you think it is possible to relentlessly question everything without expectation of final answers? Is a person who is free of questioning more liberated than a person who is devoid (free) of answers?

To what should any question be put without surrendering to authority, (the answer being the authority)?

Is curiosity the reincarnation of desire?

K said that the answer is contained in the question. They are perhaps not two separate things but one, appearing as different entities due to dualistic thinking?

Perhaps to have an answer is to ask the question?

Anyway I don't have any answers. Now what was the question?

You are your search

Sun, 22 Apr 2012 #21
Thumb_img001 Dr.sudhir sharma India 1889 posts in this forum Offline

Katy 9 wrote:
Is this forum a cult of sorts?

lidlo lady wrote:

A member of the forum is a follower if s/he is repeating K without experimenting with what he said and finding out the truth/falseness of those words firsthand. If this is so, then this forum is a cult for all such members.

PS: It will be very normal to feel ( this is firsthand information) that others are 'followers' and "I" am an experimenter. :)

FLOW WITH LIFE!

Sun, 22 Apr 2012 #22

Dr.sudhir sharma wrote:
PS: It will be very normal to feel ( this is firsthand information) that others are 'followers' and "I" am an experimenter. :)

Yes, Sudhir,

It see, too, that this could also be a projection/false assumption/'belief'.

Thanks, Katy

This post was last updated by Katy 9 (account deleted) Sun, 22 Apr 2012.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 22 Apr 2012 #23

Robert Clarke wrote:
Is a person who is free of questioning more liberated than a person who is devoid (free) of answers?

Hi Robert,

Staying with a question without 'seeking' an 'answer' from another person, as such, can be useful/ 'free - making' since the question's course can be impeded if not limited/steered away by the thoughts - projected wisdom - onto another.

Writing a question down to oneself and just seeing where it goes can be 'liberating' in a sense; I am only just starting to do this myself!:)

Regards, Katy

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 22 Apr 2012 #24

Daniel Dan wrote:
there is one possibility on a forum , to ignore the troll if the moderator considers he/she can stay....usually they all fade away,unless fed enough by false dialogues from which they take their own "food"...

Hi Dan,

Perhaps it would be useful to start a thread about 'trolls' and where this relates to this forum? I don't know. Regards, Katy

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion

Sun, 22 Apr 2012 #25
Thumb_deleted_user_med Daniel Dan France 251 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Katy I do not wish to explain myself in that matter,I get your point so I removed the post about trolling...
Nothing personal :-)

as to a cult ,the most common in my views so far is the cult of competition(from marks at school to wars), money ,power and all what makes our societies...religious or personal cult is just one of them....as long as it prevents people to leave together, to share and cooperate....it is good for all power of earth :-)

Bottom line it is indeed the cult to myself,where I bow before my genius..

Dan.

This post was last updated by Daniel Dan (account deleted) Sun, 22 Apr 2012.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 22 Apr 2012 #26

Daniel Dan wrote:
Katy I do not wish to explain myself in that matter,so I removed the post.
Nothing personal :-)
cheers...

For sure, Dan...No need to explain...I do not really know how to change this 'unhappy' dynamic. I do know that I was deliberately 'singled out' here (not wanting to name any names) before by someone who was ejected for being a 'troll'.

Kind Regards, Katy

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 22 Apr 2012 #27

Daniel Dan wrote:
Bottom line it is indeed the cult to myself,where I bow before my genius..

Cheers, Dan...:)

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 22 Apr 2012 #28

kamarajugadda Mallik ArjunaRao wrote:
This form is basically intelectual in nature

Ah ..yes...the philosophers amusement!:)

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 22 Apr 2012 #29

Daniel Dan wrote:
Bottom line it is indeed the cult to myself,w

:)

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 22 Apr 2012 #30

kamarajugadda Mallik ArjunaRao wrote:
Mere chatting of JK's teachings do not make one a follower.Can you really say that I am following JK,just by looking at my postings in this form?

Everything you say and the way you say it is revealing. Krishnamurti has so deeply influenced you that your thinking is not entirely yours.

Sign in to recommend
Displaying posts 1 - 30 of 109 in total
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)