Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

Life & Living

Displaying posts 181 - 210 of 327 in total
Thu, 31 Jan 2013 #181
Thumb_snapshot_20130606 john Campbell Canada 535 posts in this forum Offline

B Teulada wrote:
what can i say?

i recognize that in my life i have come across a couple of people like this..... i cannot shrug this fact aside.

i cannot see how denying this can be helpful

J.C.>Yes,and part of the idea was to bring it to light and perhaps discover/or not/any commonality with

regards to ‘K’ thought and naturally other ideas (the main idea was simple acknowledgement).

However,hardline disrespect for this,calling it hero worshiping??,save the world junk??,(there was no

suggestion of such nonsense )is just thoughtless reaction.The word ‘stupid ’is not applicable here,

stupid requires effort.(I think you will see the evidence of this shortly).

Last week at an art class I did a study of Ingrid Bergman”s face,I believe that a face may reveal

much about a persons inner being.Mrs.Bergman,naughty ,beautiful and more.It was fun.That faces are

very interesting goes without saying. In some,however,you find nothingness,a killer would drive a knife

through you and not change his expression an iota.The beauty in the faces that we were acknowledging

above,as far as art goes,maybe better left in the hands of a Rembrandt.Here”s hoping none will attempt to kill this thought.

Thanks for sharing BT.

On Pavi”s suggestion I will now take a ‘coffee” break. She saw this coming.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 31 Jan 2013 #182
Thumb_img_7089_copy Eve G. Indonesia 1570 posts in this forum Offline

Patricia Hemingway wrote:
And isn't that what K was up against constantly? Even now? And then when that does not work for them - predictably because how can it! - they blame K for letting them down.

Isn't it inevitable to think this way when one is comparing oneself to another and coming with a 'difference'?

Is the result of comparison envy/worship?

Pat you can lead a horse to water but you can not make it drink ;)

Dorothy Parker says:
"You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think"

The nature of the change from disorder is silence.

This post was last updated by Eve G. Thu, 31 Jan 2013.

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 01 Feb 2013 #183
Thumb_patricia_may_2014_reduced_ Patricia Hemingway Australia 1930 posts in this forum Offline

Eve G. wrote:
Dorothy Parker says:
"You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think"

She was a sharp wit!

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 01 Feb 2013 #184
Thumb_stringio RICK LEIN United States 4436 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

K was not playing comforting little games in what he pointed out. :)

BINGO!:)

THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Fri, 01 Feb 2013 #185
Thumb_stringio B Teulada Portugal 388 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

And here I was thinking we were on the same page here. :)

Heavens ! are you visiting Portugal any time soon so we may discuss stuff ? because this trying to go into things with any degree of depth over the internet is just so, so, SO frustrating.

not sure what page you are referring to or what page i am supposed to be on - if any - but most of the times i feel i am aimlessly jumping all over the bleedin' book rather than being on any page. i guess the dust has not settled for me yet after the K-Big-Bang.

Do you not observe the manner in which most human beings rely upon others (who they often hero worship) to make all the hard decisions to solve the problems, and to lead the way to enlightenment so that they can just follow happily and hopefully along?

of course i do and you are right about that. what i meant was, we are matter; matter is impacted by other matter; we are all impacted by and impact other human beings and everything around us. some impact us more, some less. some in a positive way and some in a negative way. and some, once or twice in a lifetime (if we are lucky) simply by the way they are, make us take a long hard look at ourselves, so much so, that we are never the same again after that.

i fail to see how this has anything to do with attributing this people responsibility for solving the world's problems or our problems or anybodys' problems.

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 01 Feb 2013 #186

john Campbell wrote:
She saw this coming.

uh ? she saw what coming ? hey, have i lost any key episodes here ? because i am starting to feel a bit lost between you people going on about coffee breaks and hero worshipping ....

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 01 Feb 2013 #187
Thumb_patricia_may_2014_reduced_ Patricia Hemingway Australia 1930 posts in this forum Offline

B Teulada wrote:
Heavens ! are you visiting Portugal any time soon so we may discuss stuff ? because this trying to go into things with any degree of depth over the internet is just so, so, SO frustrating.

Portugal - that would be great! - and one-to-one discussion also.

But this is what we have - the internet - so just have to make the most of it! :)

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 01 Feb 2013 #188
Thumb_beautiful-nature-wallpaper pavani rao India 541 posts in this forum Offline

B Teulada wrote:
hey, have i lost any key episodes here ? because i am starting to feel a bit lost between you people going on about coffee breaks and hero worshipping ....

Hey T 

Don't worry you haven't missed any thing .. Me and J.c kind of fond of talking in riddles .. Very simple one's of course .. You have already joined our jamboree so no sooner  you too will fall in  the line :) 

That's a good exchange between you and Pat . I wish all of us should  start speaking the way you did in that post ... Keeping aside all K aphorisms  ( but definitely they tend to slip in sooner or later , as we all  are so full of then . There is simply  no way to escape from K  isn't it ? ) 

But then speaking about our confusions and acknowledging our limitations is a sure way and if I may say is the only way of remaining in a humble & in a learning mode ... And  then there may be a possibility of  furthering one's understanding of  issues ... 

And as Eve had started a quote I too am reminded of a quote which I read long time ago but some how it touched my heart and remained as one of my favorite one's till date ... Well I can't repeat the same words but it goes like this ... 

When we are born we all are automatically get enrolled in the school of Life . There is no better teacher than life ... It keeps giving lessons for us to learn .. If we fail to learn a particular lesson  it sends them back again to us .. And there are simply lessons and Learning ... That's all to life ...  

By the way if you have read Pupul Jaykar's Biography of K I remember reading some what similar statements made by  K at some places ... . In that Biography I found some rare perspectives of K on life  and living which I couldn't find any where else of his work . 

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 01 Feb 2013 #189

pavani rao wrote:
In that Biography I found some rare perspectives of K on life and living which I couldn't find any where else of his work .

Hello there,

i read it almost immediately after finding out about K. i am not sure i liked it all that much though. i felt there was too much of ... Pupul herself in the book and maybe not enough objectivity. are you sure the perspectives you are referring to were really K's own and not hers? just asking.

but overall a nice read. Particularly, this at the very end, stuck with me:

That night, at nine o’clock Pacific Standard Time, Krishnaji slept, to start his long walk into the high mountains. The mists were rising, but he walked through the mists and he walked away.

i think it is a nice picture that is close to my heart for a very definite reason.

so, do we get cookies with that coffee or what?

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 01 Feb 2013 #190

B Teulada wrote:
i felt there was too much of ... Pupul herself in the book and maybe not enough objectivity. are you sure the perspectives you are referring to were really K's own and not hers?

Good point..and I came away with that same feeling!However even Mary's has a touch of the personal..and I ask myself..how could it be otherwise? But at least Mary admits to the fact that she did not understand him ?:)

Fri, 01 Feb 2013 #191
Thumb_beautiful-nature-wallpaper pavani rao India 541 posts in this forum Offline

B Teulada wrote:
do we get cookies with that coffee or what?

Cookies ? Don't tell me you hadn't got any so far ...! I mean all this while aren't you getting cookies of all kinds , like the crunchy , salty and not so sweet one's too perhaps ... ! :) 

Well I'm enjoying your hot , spicy crunchy munchy pop corn very well :) 

Pupul Jaykar's Biography of K I read quite many years back , in fact the very second book I wanted to read after getting the initial taste of Commentaries of living part one .. I was so full of curiosity to know about who this Man is and about his back ground .. And shall I tell you some thing   else also ...   that curiosity got replaced by ..  What  is He trying to say ... And later got replaced by..   What is His Message ? ... And this is an ongoing affair ... May be that's why we all are here , unable to find out alone , are trying to  figure out by contributing with  bits and pieces  of each others ' findings . 

By the way T how are the boys doing ? Are you still enjoying your journey part along with the beautiful sea view and your musings of  K and the books ? 

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 01 Feb 2013 #192

pavani rao wrote:
By the way T how are the boys doing ? Are you still enjoying your journey part along with the beautiful sea view and your musings of K and the books ?

(Disclaimer: the following post is typical "anything under the sun" stuff. light stuff. )

The boys are fine thank you. How are your girls plus granddaughter?

A little episode: one of the boys expressed a vague interest in K. I cajoled him into watching a short video with K being interviewed by Bernard Levin (you know the one?). I thought it was a very down to earth introduction in which K looks … pretty harmless (no talks of detonating your Self out of time-space or any drastic though-terminating measure). Mostly I promised him it would only take him 9 something minutes of his precious time. He watched it. HURRAYYYYYYYYY !

However... however... i have a feeling he secretly sided with Bernard Levin («wow ! what an outstanding journalist !» was his most passionate comment).

Er... what about K? «Ah, yes, “interesting”; well you can see he is not trying to sell you any of those ideas». Ok, thanks....

Result: he's gone back to chatting online with friends.

I guess K did not make such an impression on him.

Maybe one day.

pavani rao wrote:
Are you still enjoying your journey part along with the beautiful sea view and your musings of K and the books ?

You bet Pavani. easily the best part of the day, let me tell you

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 02 Feb 2013 #193
Thumb_avatar Ravi Seth India 1573 posts in this forum Offline

B Teulada wrote:
I guess K did not make such an impression on him.

He didn't impress you the very first time too, Teulada.

Without having a conflict how can one even touch the teachings?

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 2 readers
Sat, 02 Feb 2013 #194

Hi Pat 

Well I wonder if you have gone through the post 233  of  ' K  the Essential Texts '   ( kind courtesy John Raica )  from The Eeperimenters ' corner  where in K dealt exclusively of The  Disorder which  is part  of the human consciousness ,   amongst so many other serious issues  ...after  going through that lengthy , difficult passage with so many of subtleties involved in it .... I get this message that unless and until one is fundamentally , radically changed from inside there cannot be a change in the collective consciousness of humanity   and which exists as one consciousness .... and  indeed  the whole passage is a very demanding / challenging read  . 

Well i wonder if you have gone through that passage can you share your observations or the  pointers which you feel are essential in bringing that change K is referring to ... 

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 02 Feb 2013 #195

B Teulada wrote:
Maybe one day.

Hello T 

Ravi is very right when he wrote that you too had heard about him at much later stage in your life , see we didn't forget that :)  

I'm sure it definitely falls into the category of K as he himself had always  been so passionate about the schools , students ,children  and I remember his quote  ( not exact words  ) '  it's in childhood one needs to start all this ... Not when one foot is in grave ... ' 

But then we need to figure out how to go about doing ... You can watch some good videos of his interactions with students and children .. The books I can suggest to you which helped me in this whole process  are 

Beginnings of Learning .
Letters to schools . 

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 02 Feb 2013 #196
Thumb_stringio Paul D Brazil 647 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Hi Pavani, everyone. Back to home base. Depending on one's mood one can find a big city either a cold, dark, unwelcoming place or else a hive of activity, full of life and wonder.

How are you feeling today? And do you realise how your moods affect things?

People who are stuck in moods for long enough can invent whole philosophies from that perspective!

Head on the ground - feet in the clouds

This post was last updated by Paul D (account deleted) Sat, 02 Feb 2013.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 02 Feb 2013 #197

Ravi Seth wrote:
He didn't impress you the very first time too, Teulada.

oh i know, i know. i just felt like dramatising the whole thing a bit; i should have been in theater; i would have been an outstanding neurotic actress.

Sat, 02 Feb 2013 #198

B Teulada wrote:
oh i know, i know. i just felt like dramatising the whole thing a bit; i should have been in theater; i would have been an outstanding neurotic actress.

Thanks!

LOL:) We are all actors!:)

Sat, 02 Feb 2013 #199

Julia Alejandra Rojas wrote:
People who are stuck in moods for long enough can invent whole philosophies from that perspective!

B Teulada wrote:
just felt like dramatising the whole thing a bit; i should have been in theater .

Hi Julia

Well  some  what sombre tones there ? missing home already ? :) 

Yes our moods ..  they  do have strong impacts on our actions and perceptions , don't they ? But you also might have noticed our mind has that capacity to adapt to any new situations  and when we are not very much disturbed at our mood swings or shall I say look at them  in the broader perspective .. may be it comes  back to it's natural state ... 

You know what  I love theater , movies , soap operas , dramatics and histrionics  .. :) as long as we are doing all these things in our lives  and if it is not coming in any body's way .. Then why not .. After all isn't life a colorful mosaic of all shades art forms  and Moods .. ? 

Talking of art .. Look at friend J and his enthusiasm  in learning art  .. Hmm we keep talking of learning but God knows what  / whether we are learning or not ... but J is  leading the way ... J that's a good picture , very interesting indeed :) 

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 02 Feb 2013 #200

RICK LEIN wrote:
LOL:) We are all actors!:)

can you imagine getting paid and being swooned over to act out the life, dreams and dramas of made up people ?? You gotta love it !! I mean, it's escape with a capital "E" ah ah ha !!!!! :-))

Sat, 02 Feb 2013 #201

pavani rao wrote:
Talking of art ..

I am not crazy about art actually. Painting does nothing for me, sculpture neither, more recent forms of art like architecture or cinema or the like i just see like jobs.

But music....... it's something else. Do you realise that music is the only form of art that does not copycat nature? It's entirely original; although it does not exist in nature per se, I would say it is inbred in creation and man just gives form to it, like a doctor helping a woman deliver a child. A bit like mathematics.

I feel music is way, way, way above any other form of art.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 03 Feb 2013 #202
Thumb_avatar Ravi Seth India 1573 posts in this forum Offline

B Teulada wrote:
i would have been an outstanding neurotic actress.

Accepting that you are neurotic actually is the sign of rationality.

Sun, 03 Feb 2013 #203

pavani rao wrote:
Yes our moods .. they do have strong impacts on our actions and perceptions , don't they ? But you also might have noticed our mind has that capacity to adapt to any new situations and when we are not very much disturbed at our mood swings or shall I say look at them in the broader perspective .. may be it comes back to it's natural state ...

Indeed so, Pavani. And the gurus have been Masters at cultivating moods. K was always very concerned with 'creating the right religious atmosphere' for his visits and his talks. He had people running round in circles trying to satisfy him, especially in India. Then he set his voice, rolled his eyes, and let the audience's mirror neurons do the rest. It was a very good act. Hard to follow.

This post was last updated by Paul D (account deleted) Sun, 03 Feb 2013.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 06 Feb 2013 #204
Thumb_snapshot_20130606 john Campbell Canada 535 posts in this forum Offline

B Teulada wrote:
I am not crazy

But music....... it's something else.

J.C.> It is for sure,I disagree however that you don’t find it in nature.I grew up a few feet from the woods,
and in summer spent many a day just roaming through the bush.I bet you can hear any note of music,
flat,sharp and all the rest,made by birds,bees,wind,streams,etc, even my dog would join in once in a
while .In certain spots on a windy day,just lying on your back and listening would top many a concert hall.
Music can stir your emotions more than anything that I can think of,from your heart to your feet,it can’t be beat.
I paint,play a few instruments and sing and find painting a very personal adventure while music belongs
to all,is shared by all and enjoyed by all,every human is musical in his own way.
I wonder what kind of music Mr. K enjoyed.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 06 Feb 2013 #205

B Teulada wrote:
I feel music is way, way, way above any other form of art.

john Campbell wrote:
I wonder what kind of music Mr. K enjoyed

Hi T & J 

Well I totally agree with both of your posts . You know T for me also who many a times feel unhappy  that God has not given me any of those gifts in the form of  various arts  ... music occupies the foremost place of all fine arts . In terms of  listening .. not playing and singing though ..In fact music is all pervasive in the creation , in nature , in writing , in life  ... May be it depends on us how we find things ... Isn't it ? 

Well J for your query I can suggest to you to go through this book The Kitchen Chronicles by Michael Krohnen which I'm currently reading and in fact trying to find out a particular joke from that book  which the book had many to share with you all .. 

In fact in the pages 123 &  124 it is noted how  K  wanted to  share his favorite musical cassette  the recording of classical South Indian instrumental music .. And also as you noted in your post  there is well articulated mentioning by K to listen to music which is inherent in nature ...

This  book is a  good read for all the book lovers and one finds out lot of  different perspectives / dimensions of K  in his interactions with a group of close people .

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 06 Feb 2013 #206

'creating the right religious atmosphere'

Do the inverted commas suggest a quote? This does not sound like anything Jiddu Krishnamurti would say. So, are you quoting JK himself? Kindly would you state a verifiable direct source of this thing you are writing?

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 06 Feb 2013 #207

pavani rao wrote:
This book is a good read for all the book lovers and one finds out lot of different perspectives / dimensions of K in his interactions with a group of close people .

hello there Pavani, thank you for the suggestion. i have heard about the book but you know what, i was very curious about the man Krishanmurti in the beginning, for very personal reasons; i was more interested in his person than in his work actually.

But i realised that this curiosity about the man could lead me down a totally dead end; so i made a point of temporarily satisfying my curiosity (like indulging a temporary whim, you know?) but bargained with myself that i would only stick to direct sources, which, to me, include the only 2 authorised biographies. anything else, i won't touch. and guess what, somehow i think i managed not to get distracted by minor stuff and anedoctes and, although i still cherish the memories of K that were passed on to me, i have gotten over them and the field is now clear to give all of myself to what he actually had to say to us.

Wed, 06 Feb 2013 #208

B Teulada wrote:
Do the inverted commas suggest a quote? This does not sound like anything Jiddu Krishnamurti would say. So, are you quoting JK himself? Kindly would you state a verifiable direct source of this thing you are writing?

Dear BT. I always use double "****" quotation marks for quotes. Single inverted commas I use to paraphrase . . . just so you know. The phrase 'creating the right religious atmosphere' was used in several texts written about K by those who worked closely with him. I was thinking in particular of something I read about his visit to a centre in India. They had cleaned the place from top to bottom, white-washed his room, put incense and flowers etc etc but K complained they had entitely missed the point. In the end they bought some coloured powders from the market and did some sort of patterns in front of the door and he was happier. The 'religious' atmosphere had been created.

This is an account from memory and may not be 100% accurate but the sense is cotrrect and the phrase was certainly used. I cannot tell you the source as I don't carry a truckload of books when I travel, but maybe someone else here has read it. It comes up in several sources, at several times. K was concerned with atmosphere.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 06 Feb 2013 #209

B Teulada wrote:
authorised biographies

May mean sanitised by an authority

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 06 Feb 2013 #210

I always use double "****" quotation marks for quotes. Single inverted commas I use to paraphrase . . . just so you know

thank you for clarifying this. i did not know

phrase 'creating the right religious atmosphere' was used in several texts written about K by those who worked closely with him.

and thank you for confirming this to me. i thought that might be the case.

Sign in to recommend
Displaying posts 181 - 210 of 327 in total
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)