Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

The Ending of Thought

Displaying all 24 posts
Page 1 of 1
Wed, 20 Mar 2013 #1
Thumb_stringio Arthur Landon United States 146 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

All we really know is that there is always more to know - including finding out what we did not really know to begin with. There is no discovery greater than the realization that there's always more to find out; that you'll never know enough.

So what did K mean when he spoke of "the ending of thought" and "the ending of knowledge"? Was he saying that there's a point at which the brain knows everything it will ever need to know? Or was he saying that the brain has transcended itself and found omniscience, or some such nonsense? What exactly did he mean?

He was referring to the end of the tyranny of illusion; the beginning of self-knowledge; the discernment that can distinguish between wishful thinking and rational thinking.

All thought - being representation - is illusion, but since not all illusion represents fantasy and foolishness, the awakening of the ability to discern the difference is the "ending" of delusory thought.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 2 readers
Thu, 21 Mar 2013 #2
Thumb_img_0244 Jack Pine United States 5800 posts in this forum Offline

Nick you've asked all this before. We get it. You don't have a clue what K was trying to point out and you're all bitter about it. Give it a rest.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 4 readers
Thu, 21 Mar 2013 #3
Thumb_patricia_may_2014_reduced_ Patricia Hemingway Australia 1930 posts in this forum Offline

Jack Pine wrote:
Nick you've asked all this before. We get it. You don't have a clue what K was trying to point out and you're all bitter about it. Give it a rest.

LOL - right on Jack!

Thu, 21 Mar 2013 #4
Thumb_man_question_mark dhirendra singh India 2984 posts in this forum Offline

I thought about a common thing among Kinfo members, and I feel it is "low I.Q."(I am a kinfo member).

I don't know

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 21 Mar 2013 #5
Thumb_man_question_mark dhirendra singh India 2984 posts in this forum Offline

Katy A wrote:
Thinking of people in terms of IQ causes ethical problems

Seriously, we are not intelligent, no doubt about it.

I don't know

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 21 Mar 2013 #6
Thumb_beautiful-nature-wallpaper pavani rao India 541 posts in this forum Offline

Hi Katy & Dhi

Well it's good to read both your posts in this thread . Katy's straight out of heart assertion and Dhi's as usual light hearted remarks .

Hi Arthur

Arthur Landon wrote:
there's a point at which the brain knows everything it will ever need to know?

Brain by it's very nature never remains empty . It always remains the hub / centre of some activity or the other as long as it is alive . I wonder if one can see this as an indisputable  most palpable fact . But definitely there comes a sea / world of difference when one is out of psychological thought .  But then  again one need not make it as the most ultimate and utmost achievement of a human being . There exists and have been the case as  lots of people in all societies who are gifted with so much of clarity and they live happily , peacefully  and die  finding and  fulfilling the  real purpose of their lives without making so much fuss . We do read about them and can find their presence  in all societies if we are observant . 

And then of course there are definitely intermittent periods of  silence which come and go and some times they become so compulsive that one simply has to give way for them

Arthur Landon wrote:
brain has transcended itself and found omniscience, or some such nonsense? What exactly did he mean?

There I do agree with you all that you referred to is nothing but wishful thinking and I would rather say it remains so till it becomes a reality , at the  same time one may not dismiss as utter rubbish and nonsense . 

Arthur Landon wrote:
All we really know is that there is always more to know - including finding out what we did not really know to begin with

Well it may be so .... Here may I give a small suggestion it's time you develop some liking for ' perfume ' :) ( I want to go some what light and slightly chirpy ) well you need not jump of your chair listening to this very word .... But you can make it into the list of knowable , explorable things i guess . We are not very sure in what sense K uses that beautiful expression neither very clear in what sense  much bargained and mentioned by Ravi in the other thread . 
But I would suggest the perfume of Life and Living .... 

Arthur Landon wrote:
the awakening of the ability to discern the difference is the "ending" of delusory thought.

Isn't that's all to it ? And isn't it Enough ? 

Hey by the way do kindly let me know if you have any problem with my writing style . Well some how for me writing in an impersonal , indifferent , abrupt tone sounds very unnatural . I do enjoy light hearted humor but do not want to become a laughing stock though ....

This post was last updated by pavani rao Thu, 21 Mar 2013.

Fri, 22 Mar 2013 #7
Thumb_snapshot_20130606 john Campbell Canada 535 posts in this forum Offline

pavani rao wrote:
I wonder if

Pavi wrote>>> There exists and have been the case as lots of people in all societies who are gifted with so much of clarity and they live happily , peacefully and die finding and fulfilling the real purpose of their lives without making fuss

Hey pav,try this on for size, (the 6:41 version),each word counts.

before the beginning/kim rosen (641) utube

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 #8
Thumb_beautiful-nature-wallpaper pavani rao India 541 posts in this forum Offline

Hey J.C

Long time no see . Where have you been ?
Well may be you might have picked up your bike and gone on into one of your adventure trips :) In that case I suggest you do let us know about your experiences , of course not in here ... but in that other thread where every thing goes ... :) Yes in Life & Living .

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Tue, 26 Mar 2013 #9
Thumb_avatar Ravi Seth India 1573 posts in this forum Offline

pavani rao wrote:
Well may be you might have picked up your bike and gone on into one of your adventure trips :)

Oh no! I thought bikes and bike walas were out!!!!!!!

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 27 Mar 2013 #10

Ravi Seth wrote:
Oh no! I thought bikes and bike walas were out!!!!!!!

Bike wallas !!!  How can they be out of my life ? 
The one bike walla I know all my life ... My first love and still a source of inspiration and study of my life ...  my dad still rides his bike at the age of 78. 

Hey Ravi  allow me to  me add I wonder  whether you are properly listening  to what your Guru says .... That is  Paying Proper Attention .... 

( by the way  hav'nt heard  much of him  off late ? ) 

Wed, 27 Mar 2013 #11

pavani rao wrote:
 ..........allow me to  me add I wonder  whether you are properly listening  to what your Guru says .... That is  Paying Proper Attention .... 

If you have listened for once, the need to repeat that listening or reminding yourself time and again as to what you listened to vanishes.Memory of it doesn't take you anywhere but the past that you are.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 27 Mar 2013 #12

pavani rao wrote:
And then of course there are definitely intermittent periods of  silence which come and go and some times they become so compulsive that one simply has to give way for them

What the hell this gibrish is?

Wed, 27 Mar 2013 #13

Ravi Seth wrote:
What the hell this gibrish is?

Gibberish !? Perhaps so ...may be you cannot understand it because you are not there yet .

Ravi Seth wrote:
If you have listened for once, the need to repeat that listening or reminding yourself time and again as to what you listened to vanishes.Memory of it doesn't take you anywhere but the past that you are.

Neither this is making any sense to me either .

Ever wondered examining of your guru's pravachans ?
Look around and find a new one :)

This post was last updated by pavani rao Wed, 27 Mar 2013.

Wed, 27 Mar 2013 #14

pavani rao wrote:
May be so, because you are not there yet .

pavani rao wrote:
Neither this is making any sense to me either .

Why don't you act real with two pony tails on your head and recite nursery rhymes instead miserably trying to act like a lady of some substance?

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 27 Mar 2013 #15

Ravi Seth wrote:
pony tails on your head and recite nursery rhymes instead miserably trying to act like a lady of some substance

Lady of substance and innocence , youthful freshness of small girl ... are they contradictory in nature ? I don't think so . Any how thanks for your perceptions of me , but I think we are also interested in knowing what you think of yourself .

By the way you too are welcome to write your bike adventures in the thread Life & Living .

Wed, 27 Mar 2013 #16

Ravi Seth wrote:
Oh no! Oh no!Oh no!

Oh no!Oh no! I thought bikes and bike walas were out!!!!!!!

J.C.>??What the hell’s wrong with motor bikes ,walas ,or people enjoying them.?? Be clear.You,ll end up like an ‘Ohno bird’,what a life they have.What do you ride,an ass maybe?? This of course would be free choice,I,m just curious ,not belittling.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 27 Mar 2013 #17

pavani rao wrote:
I think we are also interested in knowing what you think of yourself .

har ek baat pe kehte ho tum ke too kya hai? ?

tumheeN kaho ke yeh andaaz-e-guftgoo kya hai ?

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 28 Mar 2013 #18

john Campbell wrote:
What do you ride,an ass maybe?? This of course would be free choice,I,m just curious ,not belittling.

Ravi Seth wrote:
har ek baat pe kehte ho tum ke too kya hai? ?

tumheeN kaho ke yeh andaaz-e-guftgoo kya hai ?

Hi J . C & Ravi

J you know what you can't understand what's written by Ravi as you don't know the little secret we both share . :)   
Well Ravi is my first pen pal ( Desi )  in these  forums before firangis entered the arena :) 

Ravi as  we are talking of finding a new guru and all that stuff ... Here is a suggestion ... take J . C as your friend / guru ( if you wish ) 

I don't  think  any special  introduction is needed for me to give for J ... as previously many a times we both expressed , approved of what we both share and believe in .. Zest for life & living , humor , and goodness of humanity . 

If we don't understand what it  is to Live ,  we won't be knowing what it's to Die .... Isn't that an important tenet of K teaching ? 

Thu, 28 Mar 2013 #19

john Campbell wrote:
Oh no!Oh no! I thought bikes and bike walas were out!!!!!!!

J.C.>??What the hell’s wrong with motor bikes ,walas ,or people enjoying them.?? Be clear.You,ll end up like an ‘Ohno bird’,what a life they have.What do you ride,an ass maybe?? This of course would be free choice,I,m just curious ,not belittling.

You are really a clairvoyant, jc.

True, this "i" in fact rides an ass called Harley's Fat Bob.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 28 Mar 2013 #20

pavani rao wrote:
If we don't understand what it  is to Live ,  we won't be knowing what it's to Die .... Isn't that an important tenet of K teaching ?

O Durga ( a deity in hindism)

Teach me to care and not to care

Teach me to sit still

This post was last updated by Ravi Seth Thu, 28 Mar 2013.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 28 Mar 2013 #21

Ravi Seth wrote:
Teach me to care and not to care

Teach me to sit still

darpok math ban 
Jiske pass himmath aur dimak nahe 
use akhir melege kya ? 

Point 1 . Make ready hefty amount of money for this first valuable lesson as we are going to get collected later :) 

point 2 . Stop this repertoire ( Desi ) lest Arthur throw us out of his thread . 

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 28 Mar 2013 #22

pavani rao wrote:
darpok math ban 
Jiske pass himmath aur dimak nahe 
use akhir melege kya ?

Humako maaluum hai jannat ki haqiqat lekin

Dil ke Khush rakhane ko Ghalib ye Khayaal achchha hai.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 28 Mar 2013 #23
Thumb_stringio Arthur Landon United States 146 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

pavani rao wrote:
Stop this repertoire ( Desi ) lest Arthur throw us out of his thread . 

Yes, using "repertoire" for "repartee" is a serious offense.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 28 Mar 2013 #24

Ravi Seth wrote:
Harley's Fat Bob.

JC>> Oh no!

pavani rao wrote:
take J . C as your friend / guru ( if you wish )

JC>> Sorry,wrong country,you can't 'give' Canadians away.

Sign in to recommend
Displaying all 24 posts
Page 1 of 1
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)