Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

What is death? Is it a static thing or a living thing?

Displaying posts 1 - 30 of 49 in total
Sat, 10 Mar 2018 #1
Thumb_screenshot_20180710-010635 Myself Only United States 540 posts in this forum Offline

What is death?

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 10 Mar 2018 #2
Thumb_screenshot_20180710-010635 Myself Only United States 540 posts in this forum Offline

Is dieing to the past an act of will or it happens naturally without any effort when one's values are changed?

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 11 Mar 2018 #3

So to die to the past means dieing to the self which is the past and the future. Time is the essence of the self or thought. Now the question is what is the entity that decides to die to the self , is it another thought or is it intelligence that sees the futility of the self and it's activities?

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 11 Mar 2018 #4

If it is another thought that decides to die or abandon the self then there must be a clear motive behind it which is again time , therfore continuity not real death.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 11 Mar 2018 #5

Thought is the outcome of the past which is a dead thing. Thought repeats and sustain itself by repetition. Thought is blind, it cannot see what it is doing. There has to be another factor which we call intelligence or silence that can end the continuity of the self or thought.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 12 Mar 2018 #6

I Just read today's QOTD and K. calls intelligence, "discernment of right value"

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 12 Mar 2018 #7

Yes, it is all about having right values that are not based on thought and the self.

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 13 Mar 2018 #8

Is death something to be afraid of?
People are not afraid of death . Are afraid of what may happen before death .The loneliness ,the pain and so on. Death means not being or not existing.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 17 Mar 2018 #9
Thumb_1507053_1_ Jayaraj Kapila Kulasinghe Sri Lanka 1206 posts in this forum Offline

Yes, people are not afraid of death. I think when we say we are afraid of death what is really happening is that we are afraid of losing what we have.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 17 Mar 2018 #10
Thumb_stringio richard head United States 332 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Goodman B wrote:
Is death something to be afraid of?

Being afraid, has less to do with the objects that provoke, and more to do with how the mind operates. Our preoccupation with the superficial (objects) allows us to escape the fundamental (how the mind operates, actually).

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 18 Mar 2018 #11
Thumb_1507053_1_ Jayaraj Kapila Kulasinghe Sri Lanka 1206 posts in this forum Offline

richard head wrote:
Being afraid, has less to do with the objects that provoke, and more to do with how the mind operates. Our preoccupation with the superficial (objects) allows us to escape the fundamental (how the mind operates, actually).

Of course. An object may actually cause a reaction when the organism is threatened. That is normal. But now there are innumerable fears.Fear of losing something etc. Then it is purely a question of how the mind operates.

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 20 Mar 2018 #12
Thumb_stringio richard head United States 332 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Jayaraj Kapila Kulasinghe wrote:
Then it is purely a question of how the mind operates.

Which was Krishnamurti's focus. And as you stated, these human psychological responses (fear, for instance) have a purpose/utility. Which means that all aspects of the human experience ought to be open to serious exploration.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 21 Mar 2018 #13

richard head wrote:
And as you stated, these human psychological responses (fear, for instance) have a purpose/utility.

Would you say this? Or is it more at a fundamental level of survival it has utility?

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 22 Mar 2018 #14

Or is it more at a fundamental level of survival it has utility?

Yes. But since the development of "civilization", basic fundamental survival, takes a back seat to the pursuit of pleasure.

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 23 Mar 2018 #15

Is there physical fear? For the survival of the organism? Do you say this is the same as psychological fear?

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 23 Mar 2018 #16

richard head wrote:
Yes. But since the development of "civilization", basic fundamental survival, takes a back seat to the pursuit of pleasure.

Yes.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 24 Mar 2018 #17

Do you say this is the same as psychological fear?

I am suggesting it is the same "fear" (fight-flight). Manifesting in certain areas of human experience it is helpful and useful, in other areas not so much. To see clearly the difference, is a very profound thing.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 25 Mar 2018 #18

Fear and pleasure are exclusively the product thought and time . Physical fear is not fear at all since it is immediate response of the senses. For example touching the flame of fire or seeing a deadly animal and avoiding it is part of intelligence.

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 27 Mar 2018 #19

K: in ending there is renewal, is there not? It's only in death that a new thing comes into being. I am not giving you comfort. This is not something to be believed or thought about or intellectually examined and accepted, for then you will make it into another comfort, as you now believe in reincarnation or continuity in the hereafter, and so on. But the actual fact is that that which continues has no rebirth, no renewal. Therefore, in dying every day there is renewal, there is a rebirth. That is immortality. In death there is immortality, not the death of which you are afraid, but the death of previous conclusions, memories, experiences, with which you are identified as the 'me'. In the dying of the 'me' every minute there is eternity, there is immortality, there is a thing to be experienced -not to be speculated upon or lectured about, as you do about reincarnation and all that kind of stuff. When you are no longer afraid, because every minute there is an ending and therefore a renewal, then you are open to the unknown. Reality is the unknown. Death is also the unknown. But to call death beautiful, to say how marvelous it is because we shall continue in the hereafter and all that nonsense, has no reality. What has reality is seeing death as it is, an ending; an ending in which there is renewal, a rebirth, not a continuity. For that which continues decays; and that which has the power to renew itself is eternal. - Krishnamurti, J. Krishnamurti, The Book of Life

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 29 May 2018 #20

K: ....What has reality is seeing death as it is, an ending; an ending in which there is renewal, a rebirth, not a continuity. For that which continues decays; and that which has the power to renew itself is eternal.

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 29 May 2018 #21

Is that because we have never ended anything in life that we know nothing of death? What krishnamurti poses is totally new in society.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 13 Jun 2018 #22

It seems like no one understands English in this site.:)

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 14 Jun 2018 #23

Thought must have exhausted itself in this site.

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 15 Jun 2018 #24

Thought being exhausted tries to create an action . What happens? What happens when all thought becomes exhausted?

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 15 Jun 2018 #25

Thought being the past becomes exhausted and stops. Thought realizing it's own insufficiency therefore stops.

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 15 Jun 2018 #26

What happens when thought stops?

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 01 Sep 2018 #27

Goodman B wrote:
What has reality is seeing death as it is, an ending; an ending in which there is renewal, a rebirth, not a continuity. For that which continues decays; and that which has the power to renew itself is eternal. - Krishnamurti, J. Krishnamurti, The Book of Life

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 01 Sep 2018 #28

Apparently we don't have the power to renew ourselves.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 01 Sep 2018 #29
Thumb_avatar Peter Kesting United States 1201 posts in this forum Offline

"seeing death as it is, an ending; an ending in which there is renewal, a rebirth, not a continuity. For that which continues decays; and that which has the power to renew itself is eternal. - Krishnamurti"

What is it that has the power to renew itself?

Isn't it necessary to see that there is that?

This post was last updated by Peter Kesting Sat, 01 Sep 2018.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 01 Sep 2018 #30

We waste energy(drive ,vitality,power ..) in duality. The duality between the observer and the observed ,between the thinker and his thought. Thought is responsible for this wastage of energy which is absolutely needed to end greed,envy,hate and so on. So in understanding thought and how it comes and how it dominates the mind one doesn't waste energy therefore has that power and energy to end the activities of the self which is the old Brain.

Sign in to recommend
Displaying posts 1 - 30 of 49 in total
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)