Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

What is the true function of the brain? Taken from A Quiet Space

Displaying all 7 posts
Page 1 of 1
Thu, 24 Oct 2019 #1
Thumb_img_0244 Jack Pine United States 5797 posts in this forum Offline

So what, in all this, is a relevant question? Perhaps one is: “how can we enquire into the true potential of the brain?”.

Clive asked this question after a long and interesting recital on the immensity of the Universe, evolution and the human brain.

Idiot? posted a very relevant quote from K which not only answered the above question but discussed the question of "what should the brain and/or thinking be? This is part of the K quote that idiot? posted:

With what are our minds occupied - actually, not ideologically? With trivialities, are they not? With how one looks, with ambition, with greed, with envy, with gossip, with cruelty. The mind lives in a world of trivialities and a trivial mind creating a noble pattern is still trivial, is it not? The question is not with what should the mind be occupied but can the mind free itself from trivialities?

Exactly.

This post was last updated by Jack Pine Thu, 24 Oct 2019.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 24 Oct 2019 #2
Thumb_dm Dan McDermott United States 1471 posts in this forum Online

Jack Pine wrote:
K. The question is not with what should the mind be occupied but can the mind free itself from trivialities?

First it has to realize its own "triviality", doesn't it? Without that happening, it will always find a 'hiding place' in itself that it feels is not trivial...and will peek out from that place making judgements, condemning, feeling righteous, etc. A perfect example of this in the news yesterday is this 'brain' with a canister of bear spray attacking a peaceful group of brains and justifying it by calling them, "libtards and commies"...Pretty trivial and pretty dangerous.

This post was last updated by Dan McDermott Thu, 24 Oct 2019.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 24 Oct 2019 #3
Thumb_avatar idiot ? United States 782 posts in this forum Offline

Jack Pine wrote:
Idiot? posted a very relevant quote from K which not only answered the above question but discussed the question of "what should the brain and/or thinking be?

Wait. You approve of one of my postings? That's too funny.

But don't worry. I've started a new thread about K hallucinating seeing a face. Is my new thread trivial? Hmm.

This post was last updated by idiot ? Thu, 24 Oct 2019.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 24 Oct 2019 #4

idiot ? wrote:
Wait. You approve of one of my postings? That's too funny.

Well of this one anyway. It was more of a situation where you picked a very appropriate response to what appeared to me to be another inane question.

With regard to the original post and ending question I think Clive was asking if the brain, which is conditioned, limited, the past could go into itself and understand eternity. That's my phrasing not his. There have been any number of discussions started this way without any hope of getting anywhere with finding out anything significant.

It's my understanding, and I may be wrong, but it is not thinking real hard that is going to lead to "truth". But rather it is the mind becoming quiet without seeking anything that may open it (the mind) to seeing.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 24 Oct 2019 #5
Thumb_dm Dan McDermott United States 1471 posts in this forum Online

Jack Pine wrote:
it is not thinking real hard that is going to lead to "truth".

Investigating, inquiring, experimenting is not "thinking real hard" (though it could be) but when someone tries to share those questions, insights,etc., using words, it might sound like that. And also this idea of something or other "leading" to the truth needs to be questioned in oneself doesn't it? Truth like freedom is always at the beginning not the end as K. so often said.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 24 Oct 2019 #6
Thumb_avatar idiot ? United States 782 posts in this forum Offline

Krishnamurti, The First and Last Freedom, On Triviality:
The question is not with what should the mind be occupied but can the mind free itself from trivialities?

I've got to turn the computer off and stop burning time here.

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 25 Oct 2019 #7

Dan McDermott wrote:
First it has to realize its own "triviality", doesn't it? Without that happening, it will always find a 'hiding place' in itself that it feels is not trivial.

Dan, neither idiot? nor I brought up "triviality" K did in the quote. K didn't seem to think this was a problem or he probably would have gone into it don't you think? Are we creating a problem that really isn't there?

Dan McDermott wrote:
Investigating, inquiring, experimenting is not "thinking real hard" (though it could be) but when someone tries to share those questions, insights,etc., using words, it might sound like that. And also this idea of something or other "leading" to the truth needs to be questioned in oneself doesn't it?

Dan, I think it is important to ask questions. What I see as a mistake is verbally/intellectually pondering over these questions. We all know, or have accepted intellectually, that thought is limited. Thought is conditioned, the past. Can we agree on that? If we can then what role does thought have in understanding the questions being asked?

Ask the question and then let the mind go quiet, observe. But what use is it to come to conclusion after conclusion based on knowledge that we may agree is limited? Is the past, not new.

Sign in to recommend
Displaying all 7 posts
Page 1 of 1
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)