Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

K: Negative thinking is the highest thinking.

Displaying posts 31 - 36 of 36 in total
Sun, 12 Jan 2020 #31
Thumb_spock Douglas MacRae-Smith France 150 posts in this forum Offline

One Self wrote:
Douglas: "Wait - Its actually Negative thinking (the good, creative one) that I Don't understand clearly"

One Self : "To approach positively the 'negative thinking' is again falling into the trap of imitation which is not creative."

? sounds like you're saying "I Don't understand" is a bit too positive ?

Look, see, let go

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 13 Jan 2020 #32
Thumb_avatar idiot ? United States 755 posts in this forum Offline

If you are interested in K's negative approach, please read the "On Love" chapter in The First and Last Freedom. (The online version is here: https://selfdefinition.org/krishnamurti/Jiddu_K... and you can scroll down to Chapter 44.)

The whole chapter is very important but it starts like this:

Question: What do you mean by love?

Krishnamurti: We are going to discover by understanding what love is not, because, as love is the unknown, we must come to it by discarding the known. The unknown cannot be discovered by a mind that is full of the known. What we are going to do is to find out the values of the known, look at the known, and when that is looked at purely, without condemnation, the mind becomes free from the known; then we shall know what love is. So, we must approach love negatively, not positively.

What is love with most of us? When we say we love somebody, what do we mean? We mean we possess that person. From that possession arises jealousy, because if I lose him or her what happens? I feel empty, lost; therefore I legalize possession; I hold him or her. From holding, possessing that person, there is jealousy, there is fear and all the innumerable conflicts that arise from possession. Surely such possession is not love, is it?

(See the chapter for the rest of K's answer.)

This post was last updated by idiot ? Mon, 13 Jan 2020.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Mon, 13 Jan 2020 #33

Ok thanks - I get it.

PS - Link not working

Look, see, let go

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 13 Jan 2020 #34

Good luck!

Look, see, let go

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 13 Jan 2020 #35
Thumb_screenshot_20180710-010635 One Self United States 1583 posts in this forum Offline

This whole thing depends on what one wants in life. Most people want to possess or be possessed . So they stop there and remain satisfied or pretend to be satisfied . But as k says to keep the flame of discontent alive one has to find out if there is such a thing as love which is not merely sexual attraction or the desire to own or be owned.

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 14 Jan 2020 #36
Thumb_2494 Peter Speelman Netherlands 25 posts in this forum Offline

Sing once again with me
Our strange duet
My power over you
Grows stronger yet
And though you turn from me
To glance behind
The Phantom of the Opera is there
Inside your mind

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 2 readers
Displaying posts 31 - 36 of 36 in total
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)