Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
The answer my friend is blowing in the wind | moderated by Francois Bresson

parenting

Closed_forum

Displaying all 15 posts
Page 1 of 1
Fri, 26 Jun 2009 #1
Thumb_tibet Francois Bresson France 7 posts in this forum Offline

What is the power of parenting to set the next generation free ?

I will never fit this ugly world but I feel less and less bad for that

Sat, 27 Jun 2009 #2
Thumb_avatar gp garden United States 44 posts in this forum Offline

Francois Bresson wrote:
What is the power of parenting to set the next generation free ?

No matter what influences are brought to bear on the next generation, won't it always be up to each person in each generation to find out about freedom for themselves anyway?

"K: Perception seeing itself perceiving - then it is not perception." J. Krishnamurti The Way of Intelligence Chapter 6 Part 4 Seminar Madras 31st December 1982

Tue, 30 Jun 2009 #3

gp garden wrote:
won't it always be up to each person in each generation to find out about freedom for themselves anyway?

Don't we all born free ?
There should be is nothing to find out, just keep going on the free way

Wed, 01 Jul 2009 #4
Thumb_avatar Richard Kover United States 19 posts in this forum Offline

Francois Bresson wrote:
born free

It is quite a stretch to say we are born free. Are we not born with many programmed reactions, many animal instincts for aggression, self-centered behavior and desires?

Wed, 01 Jul 2009 #5

Richard Kover wrote:
Are we not born with many programmed reactions, many animal instincts for aggression, self-centered behavior and desires?

I think they only get need for food rather than desire.
Babies get not ego, they're surprised when they get hurt because they can see mum doesn't cry

Fri, 17 Jul 2009 #6
Thumb_mandala6 Ruth Bass United States 4 posts in this forum Offline

For three years I worked in a family literacy program educating young adults in parenting skills. Our focus was on ways of communicating and methods for getting the children to cooperate. The program not only taught parents how to condition their children, but also how to encourage them to explore the world around them. There are many standardized parenting programs to conform behavior to the confines of a society. "To set the next generation free" is a relative term. Free, what does it mean?

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." J. Krishnamurti

This post was last updated by Ruth Bass Mon, 24 Aug 2009.

Fri, 17 Jul 2009 #7
Thumb_stringio nick carter United States 16 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

I don't know what it is to be free but freedom would have to mean that one is not bound to any idea or belief about what-is, wouldn't it? But we all have our precious ideas and beliefs about what-is, so what's our interest in freedom? If I really want to find out what it is to be free, I'll drop my every idea and belief, won't I? I won't talk about dropping all that rubbish, I'll just do it and find out, right?

Fri, 17 Jul 2009 #8

nick carter wrote:
I don't know what it is to be free but freedom would have to mean that one is not bound to any idea or belief about what-is, wouldn't it?

Parents are the authorities in their children's lives and they will determine the ideas that define what-is for them. In the national parenting programs, there is a move away from any physical punishment for children. Parents are learning new ways to modify behaviors without spanking. In essence, that is a bit more freedom. Parents also learn ways to boost children's self-esteem, which could be hazardous for the individual in the long run, possibly eliminating the "freedom" talked about by K. So, back to Francois' question, "What is the power of parenting to set the next generation free?' Nick says, quit talking about it and just do it.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." J. Krishnamurti

Sat, 01 Aug 2009 #9
Thumb_sree Sree Dharan United States 2 posts in this forum Offline

Ruth Marie Bass wrote:
Parents are the authorities in their children's lives and they will determine the ideas that define what-is for them.

Dear Ruth,

This is true also in the world of mother nature in the wild. Young animals mimic their parents without question and they do so to escape danger and survive. Parents serve as role models. My parents were killed in a plane crash when I was very young. I was raised by my grandmother who loved me very much. She looked up to me instead of the other way round. In terms of ideas, I think there were none that she imposed on me. I feel that I grew up by myself. Do you think I am free in the sense Nick meant?

Regards,

Sree

Sat, 01 Aug 2009 #10

Sree, I think you were very fortunate to have a grandmother who let you decide many things for yourself and didn't impose her ideas. That is much more freedom than most have had. And I think it is some of the best parenting.

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 #11
Thumb_sree Sree Dharan United States 2 posts in this forum Offline

Ruth Marie Bass wrote:
And I think it is some of the best parenting.

Dear Ruth,

I had friends who had no parents. They grew up on their own. Much freedom. The streets of the city became their "parent".

Sometimes, I feel that all mankind is an orphan. No parents. Much freedom. We are our own parents, lights unto ourselves, as we forge through the darkness.

Regards,

Sree

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 #12

It is disheartening to face the truth of the lives of so many children in the world today, growing up on the streets, barely surviving, without parents, alone. But as you said, humanity is on its own, orphans as such.

Mon, 24 Aug 2009 #13
Thumb_p12 Prasanna P India 2 posts in this forum Offline

What is the power of parenting to set
the next generation free ?

The question seems to be of utmost importance. If parents are able to protect the natural intelligence in their children as much as possible, then it will take its own course.

Unless Advanced, K's Teachings May Remain As Ineffective As of Now

Sat, 29 Aug 2009 #14
Thumb_deleted_user_med xyz XYZ Egypt 1 post in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Sree, you are so right, we are like orphans but with no grandmother. About your upbringing by your granny...indeed older people do often a better job raising kids. They have expereance that helps them relativise (not sure if that word exists), they don't worry as much and are often more open minded than young parents caught up in competion, doubt,etc. You were lucky to have your grandma, it is like if you were brought up by your own personal philosopher and it shows in what you write. There is something melancolique about you and I sense a lot of wisdom beneath that. It is rare for someone your age and I think you are on your way to becoming a very enlightened human being and that makes me feel good.

Sun, 30 Aug 2009 #15
Thumb_p12 Prasanna P India 2 posts in this forum Offline

Parenting has been perhaps the most talked of subject. However, generally it is the average of the disposition of parents and elders that the children inherit, not genetically but only environmentally. What do you say ?

Unless Advanced, K's Teachings May Remain As Ineffective As of Now

Displaying all 15 posts
Page 1 of 1
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)