Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

"we are caught by the world with all its misery." Krishnamurti

Displaying posts 31 - 38 of 38 in total
Thu, 13 Feb 2020 #31
Thumb_donna_and_jim_fb_bw Tom Paine United States 3176 posts in this forum Offline

Ken D wrote:
Essential reading....all 90 chapters...

Yes.
Fascinating book!

Let it Be

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 13 Feb 2020 #32
Thumb_avatar idiot ? United States 782 posts in this forum Offline

Scott Forbes:
here was something that had a great deal of reality for Krishnaji, but he never brought it into his teachings.

K was afraid of the dark, like a little child! He imagined some kind of menace outside at night! Why do we not want to face the obvious conclusion? Because we can't accept that someone who had the insights he did was also somewhat wacky. Well, facts are facts. The contemporaneous accounts make clear that he believed in certain threatening night entities, for which there is no good evidence of their existence.

Why did he not include that in the teachings? Either he knew that it did not agree with his teachings on being free of fear and belief. Or he felt it was an esoteric matter not meant for the general public. Either way it gives more strength to the Sloss/Rajagopal theory that K had something of a split: a public persona and a private persona.

The only "curious" thing is how people who worship K and put him high on a pedestal cannot accept his superstitious fear of the dark. It just can't be the obvious, that he harbored silly, unfounded fears and beliefs, can it? Um, yeah, it can.

This post was last updated by idiot ? Thu, 13 Feb 2020.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 13 Feb 2020 #33
Thumb_coa104 Ken D United States 18 posts in this forum Offline

idiot ? wrote:
It just can't be the obvious, that he harbored silly, superstitious ideas, can it?

But then, how to reconcile the two? I mean, this strikes me as a serious issue.

He travels the world, and like a laser beam, cuts through so much crap and malarky, explains the causes and nature of fear, speaks about self understanding and insight, and yet we're presented with these accounts which are baffling. He seems to be no different than the rest of us, but has some astonishing capacity to understand the human condition that forever remains distant, impractical, perhaps rarely, if ever, realized.

"Sow the seed of freedom, which is to awaken intelligence; for with that intelligence you can tackle all the problems of life." Krishnamurti

This post was last updated by Ken D Thu, 13 Feb 2020.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 13 Feb 2020 #34
Thumb_avatar idiot ? United States 782 posts in this forum Offline

Ken D wrote:
But then, how to reconcile the two?

To me, K wasn't a perfect embodiment of what he taught. He had great insight and that is available to us. He may have lived the teachings quite a bit. But he also had external conflicts and apparently certain beliefs and fears. He had at least one romantic affair and took part in a certain amount of deception for that to happen. He was human and had foibles. That simply connects him to us more. It makes it easier to not treat him as an ideal or an authority.

I also loved my mom when she was alive. She, too, believed in nutty things like ESP, reincarnation, astrology, etc. It doesn't take away her moments of wisdom. Like when, exasperated on a long road trip, with us kids acting up in the back seat, she exclaimed, "Would you just look out the window?"

With one simple question she summed up quite a bit of K teaching!

This post was last updated by idiot ? Thu, 13 Feb 2020.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 13 Feb 2020 #35
Thumb_screenshot_20180710-010635 One Self United States 1630 posts in this forum Offline

Krishnamurti: "Don't listen to anybody saying anything about anybody else."(That includes K).

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 13 Feb 2020 #36
Thumb_nolet Rich Nolet Canada 332 posts in this forum Offline

idiot ? wrote:
Like when, exasperated on a long road trip, with us kids acting up in the back seat, she exclaimed, "Would you just look out the window?"

With one simple question she summed up quite a bit of K teaching!

Wow!! I wonder why he spoke for 60 years and why some people care so much about what he said. Or about him, actually . Is it that simple?

This post was last updated by Rich Nolet Thu, 13 Feb 2020.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 13 Feb 2020 #37
Thumb_001 Sean Hen Spain 935 posts in this forum Offline

Rich Nolet wrote:
I wonder why he spoke for 60 years and why some people care so much about what he said.

Basically, because what he said was completely mind-blowing!

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 13 Feb 2020 #38
Thumb_screenshot_20180710-010635 One Self United States 1630 posts in this forum Offline

Rich Nolet wrote:
Wow!! I wonder why he spoke for 60 years and why some people care so much about what he said. Or about him, actually . Is it that simple?

K said that we rather deal with ideas and illusions than facts(like religion and so on). In other words we are lazy and too worn out to deal with facts.
There is nothing to say about facts because they are self explanatory, but there is surely a lot of things to say while one is in illusion of some kind. That is why these kind of gossiping is so appealing to some. It is a respectable escape now days, Talking about who said what about someone else..

Sign in to recommend
Displaying posts 31 - 38 of 38 in total
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)